2020 was not the year most of us had planned and is – finally – coming to an end.
In 1st Mile, we were challenged by a few Covid-19 related extraordinary calls which tested our ability to jump into new, unexpected application formats and fields. We worked hard to secure funding for innovative solutions helping to fight the pandemic or to secure funding for companies in distress.
And what now? Covid-19 affected the normal timeline and schedule leading to the new, upcoming 2021 calls.
Below is an overview of open calls and upcoming deadlines in the next few months:
Open calls right now:
- European Green Deal call: the last Horizon 2020-funded European Green Deal Call is a €1 billion call for research and innovation projects that respond to the climate crisis and help protect Europe’s unique ecosystems and biodiversity.
Deadline: 26th January 2021
Additional information: Green Deal Call
2. Genstart.nu: genstartNU.dk is an initiative launched by Industriens Fond to assist SMEs in Denmark during the Covid-19 pandemic, by allocating DKK 150 mil to support companies in distress in different areas. 1st Mile offers 15, 30, or 50-hour free consulting packages on available funding opportunities.
Deadline: Open for applicants until May 2021
Additional information: Genstart.nu or contact Project Lead Heidi Ann Vorgaard Andersen, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Horizon Europe: the end of 2020 also marks the end of Horizon 2020, the EU’s biggest research and innovation programme between 2014 and 2020. The Commission is already working on Horizon Europe, an ambitious €100 billion research and innovation programme running from 2021 to 2027 to succeed Horizon 2020.
Calls for 2021 should have been in January 2021 but have been postponed due to Covid-19.
Calls and deadlines: official calls are not out yet, but the first ones are likely to be at the beginning of June 2021
Additional information: Horizon Europe
– EIC Accelerator – SME Instrument: one of the many funding opportunities under the Horizon Europe umbrella, the EIC targets SMEs willing to identify, develop and deploy high-risk innovations of all kind. A particular focus is on breakthrough, market-creating and deep-tech innovations. The call offers up to € 2.5 million grant component for technology development and validation (e.g. TRL 5/6 to 8) and € 0.5 to EUR 15 million investment component for scaling up and any other activities
Calls and deadlines: 9th June 2021 and 6th October 2021
Additional information: EIC Accelerator – SME Instrument
- EUDP: the Energy Technology Development and Demonstration Program is a funding scheme under the Danish Energy Agency supporting private danish companies and universities to develop and demonstrate new and innovative energy technologies. The program supports a wide spectrum of green energy technologies and solutions.
Calls and deadlines: official calls are not out yet, but the first ones are likely to be at the beginning of March
Additional information: EUDP
3. Innovationsfonden: Innovation Fund Denmark invests in the best research and innovation projects with the potential to create knowledge, growth and employment in Denmark.
– Grand Solutions: Do you have a visionary and ambitious research project that makes a difference – even on a global scale Grand Solutions projects are characterised by a high-risk profile and focus on ambitious results with high-value creation whether in the form of new knowledge, improvement of/or new processes, systems, products or solutions to societal challenges.
Deadline: 11th February 2021
Additional information: IFGS
– Innobooster: Are you a company with a development project that can grow? Innobooster is a grant to companies that wish to develop and make a new product or service ready for the market or to improve a process that increases the company’s competitiveness and creates growth. The grant may help reduce the company’s project-related risks.
Application period: the official application period is not open yet, but is likely to open in January 2021
Additional information: Innobooster
4. The European Innovation Fund: are you a small-project working on clean energy and industry projects? The European Innovation fund is a € 100 million funding program targeting clean energy and clean industry projects that contribute to the green recovery of Europe’s economy and have total capital costs between € 2.5 and 7.5 million. Applicants can benefit from simplified one-stage application and selection procedures, and the fund grants.
Application period: the official application period is not open yet, but will be open until 10th March 2021
Additional information: Innovation Fund
5. Eurostars: Eurostars supports innovative development projects, product development and application of existing technology in new areas of SMEs. There must be a minimum of two partners from two different EU member countries in the project. Eurostars supports projects with up to EUR 300,000 for Danish applicants.
Deadline: 4th February 2021
Additional information: Eurostars